Happy Valentine’s Day! Or Galentine’s Day! I’ll take any excuse to bake and eat super sugary foods.
I found a recipe for cupcakes with Red Hot Cinnamon candies and I decided to give it a try in a mini-cupcake version.
- 1 Box white cake mix, plus the ingredients on the back of the box
- 1 tsp cinnamon extract
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Cup Red Hot candies, crushed
- FOR THE FROSTING….
- 2 Sticks butter, softened
- 2 tsp cinnamon extract
- 1 Bag powdered sugar (32 oz)
- 1/2 Cup Red Hot candies, crushed
- Sprinkles and cinnamon gummy lips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with mini paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, prepare the cake mix according to package directions. (I used canola oil instead of vegetable oil.) Once the batter has come together, stir in the extracts and Red Hot candies until combined.
- Portion the batter evenly into the cups. I filled them about half full.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes completely.
For the Frosting
- In a separate bowl with a hand mixture, beat the butter and extract together until smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, a cup at a time, until the frosting is light and fluffy. (I added about five cups.)
- Mix the Red Hot candies into the frosting.
- Frost and decorate the cupcakes as desired.
I thought the cupcakes turned out well! They’re very sugary, so make sure not to eat too many at a time! 🙂