After discovering some pallet projects months ago, I finally got around to giving it a try and constructing my own version of the creations. I’ll explain the coat hanger project in this post. I also made a flower vase holder, which I’ll upload in posts to come. I have a couple of other projects too planned in my mind. I have a stack of mini wooden pallets in the garage. Might as well make use of them!
For this project I used mini pallets. They’re about 18 x 24 inches. I found it a really great size to work with and fairly easy to store until I was ready to craft. Another thing to make sure is that the pallet is not chemically treated. The pallet should be stamped informing whether it is or not. If you see the letters “MB” stamped, the pallet is chemically treated and should probably not be used inside a home.
First I decided to use an electric sander. You can also hand sand the entire pallet, but I found this method to be a lot quicker. I wanted to get rid of the splinters for this project, while still keeping a rustic feel.
Next I hand sanded the in-between places I couldn’t quite reach with the power sander. I didn’t do a completely thorough job, just enough so that when I picked it up I wouldn’t be risking the chance of splinters. (Splinters are my worst nightmare!)
The pallet needed a primer-sealer coat. I used Kilz 2 latex interior/exterior water-based white primer and covered the entire surface, both front and back. It’s a good way to seal the surface and prevent stains on the wood from showing through future layers of paint.
Next I painted only the front side of the pallet boards. I used leftover interior water-based paint I had around the house. One coat was enough to give it a rough overall look.
After waiting for the paint to dry I went back with the white primer and a smaller brush to touch up the messy areas. I also marked where I wanted the holes drilled for the knobs. I purchased the dresser knobs from Lowe’s and selected a variety of styles and colors that I liked.
I don’t trust myself with drills so I had my father make holes for me. I then screwed in the dresser knobs and voila! The finished product! (To hang, use a couple nails in the wall. It attached easily!)
The final product! I’m really happy with how it turned out!